To enroll in San Mateo County's Community Alert System (SMC ALERT), please click here. Participants in this free alert notification system are notified via their email and/or cell phones during urgent or emergency situations. Living near the most famous earthquake fault and in a wildfire area makes emergency preparedness a necessity for every Portola Valley resident. The Town's Emergency Preparedness Committee urges you to review the following information and take appropriate measures to ensure you and your family are ready.
Steps to ensure your family's emergency preparedness:
- Earthquake Preparation - Comprehensive information from USGS, including 7 steps to preparing for earthquakes.
- Disaster Preparedness - Information for San Francisco Bay Area residents to prepare for disasters.
- Wildland Fire Mitigation - Excellent booklet from San Mateo County of "Living with Fire."
- Wildfire Ready-Set-Go! - Cal-Fire sponsored website with simple steps you can take to dramatically increase the chance of your home surviving a wildfire.
- Consider taking the 6-week disaster training course as part of the national government's CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Training) program, usually taught in the Spring and the Fall one evening per week by Woodside Fire Protection District through their CERPP (Citizens Emergency Response and Preparedness Program).
- More resources to help you prepare
If phones are not working in a disaster or 9-1-1 has no help to send, know your PV neighborhood reporting locaton!: